How to build a vertical green wall
The vertical garden, also known as green wall, is a modern technique of landscaping increasingly widespread in the world. It is a trend that grows next to the building industry and has called in the trade and also in homes.
This new modality began with the French botanist Patrick Blanc, who specialized in plants from tropical forests, being responsible for the innovation and popularization of vertical garden. In this system, the vertical gardens are so light that can be installed on any wall and watering and fertilization are automated. The benefits are not counting the unique beauty in the urbanization of the city, thermal comfort, reduced pollution and external noise that vertical gardens provide.
Green panels or assemblied vessels give life to walls, corridors, rooms or corners.
Building a vertical garden using technical ceramic blocks
Some techniques to make a beautiful vertical garden. Some of them are great for indoors and even apartment balconies.
The green wall on the picture uses ceramic blocks measuring 29 (L) x 25 (h) x 19 (w) cm. The central span of each block is filled with substrate (plant nutrient). In small gardens the watering can be done manually.
In larger gardens it's recommended to install an automated irrigation system (drip irrigation) which waters your plants accroding to their needs.
Building a vertical wall using recycled materials
- Using only bottles of the same size and preferably at least 2 L.
- Make holes at both ends of the cylinder. The holes should be very close both to the lid and to the bottom of the bottle , where the plastic is harder. The two holes should be "on the same line , so that the wire is straight and will not scrape the bottle . The holes should be just big enough to pass the wire or cable to be used to prevent the water passing through them.
- Now is the time to prepare/cut the place of the bottle where the plants will be planted. The cutaway portion should be approximately 12 cm width and 15 cm length (the measurements depend on the size of the bottles).
- Make one or two holes on the opposite side of the opening to let out water, which will fall down into the next bottle.
- Cut the two cables or wires with the approximate height of the wall where the garden will be placed. Make one or two knots, on the tip of each one and pass the other end through the holes of the first bottle.Then again do one or two nodes in each wire.The nodes must be at the same height and with a suitable distance from the bottle that has already been placed. Then place the second bottle. And do so, with how many bottles you want. Remember that the bottles just have to stay at the same height, if not the garden will be twisted. And avoid putting many bottles in the same row, because it will be quite heavy.
- Attach the ranks in the chosen wall. Fix it with sufficient large nails or screws.
- Put the earth and the plants you want. Remember to put a layer of stones, clay or newspaper in the bottom of the bottle to let water drain out.
Example of a vertical wall using recycled materials such as PET bottles
How to build a vertical wall using the Minigarden system
There are several system you can by install a vertical minigarden in your home, designed modular to cultivate ornamental, vegetable or aromatic plants.
The design is self-supporting and self draining and can be installed indoor or outdoor environments. Its modularity is its greatest virtue and allows you to design and install vertical gardens of any size with great ease, leaving room for your creativity. Each module Minigarden Vertical system consists of only 3 types of pieces for easy assembly: a lid, a circular clip and a container with 3 wells. Additionally, the system includes a base plate, designed to collect any seepage of drainage water. Lets sow or plant a huge variety of plants from small and medium size.
Installation and configuration
Mounting the Vertical Minigarden is extremely simple and its limitless possibilities. Its modular features allow it to fit vertically and horizontally modules, or simply "back-to-back", yielding countless combinations. It may also be combined with the Corner Minigarden to increase the number of settings.
The Vertical Minigarden can be installed indoors or outdoors , or embedded to the surface of walls , walls and gables , very easily. The versatility and simplicity of Minigarden system allows an easy and durable installation from the ground or from any wall height .
The combination possibilities are limited only by the creativity, since, in addition to the modular shapes, can still play the types and colors of plants to create unique effects.
It also has the advantage of replacing the plants in Minigarden already installed with ease.
Each module can be successively stacked and / or connected on the same level with other modules through the circular clips. The connections between modules of the same level may be longitudinal or back to back , creating several configurations : single or double structures .
The Vertical Minigarden is made of high strength polypropylene copolymer and contains additives to protect against UV rays , making it able to withstand extreme weather conditions ( solar radiation and temperature) and are guaranteed their integrity for ten years. It is also reusable.
Irrigation and drainage
The Vertical Minigarden was developed in order to receive an irrigation system and has an innovative mechanism of gravity drainage.
This feature ensures that all excess water for watering the root of the plant is drained to the plate which forms the base of the assembly. This system is very important for the sustainability of plantations in the long term .
By coating an exterior wall of your house or apartment with
Vertical Minigarden , is contributing to the increased thermal efficiency and , consequently, reduce the energy consumption of air conditioning in your home . The Vertical Minigarden properly planted , if placed against an outside wall , serve as an excellent thermal insulator .
Decrease in greenhouse effect
In the process of production is inevitable Minigarden Vertical gas emissions greenhouse. With the growing of plants in Minigarden Vertical, taking into account its high planting density, associated with its long life cycle, is contributing to the reduction of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere of greenhouse gases such as CO2. The balance is incredibly environmentally friendly. We recall that the raw material used in Minigarden Vertical is recyclable. Contribute to a better environment.